We are delighted that Nate Danby, the winner of our Italian Local Wild Food Challenge will be one of the judges at our Finland challenge next Saturday!
Nate’s stunning winning wild creation ‘What Nature Brings Us’ A beautiful vegetarian plate of Pokeweed, Wild Fennel, Stinging Nettle and Mustard Flowers.
We wanted to find out a little more about Nate:
- You are British Nate so why were you in Italy and able to enter the Verduno Local Wild Food Challenge?
I am doing a years masters in Italy studying in a Cookery school linked with the slow food organisation with the emphasis on sustainable gastronomy. It ranges from practical kitchen theory to the science behind kitchen processes and field trips learning production methods and farming techniques, from wheat production to biodynamic farming and chocolate making. It covers a pretty wide range of the topics.
- Where are you at the moment Nate?
I have just finished a very busy last week working in Norway, I have been out here for two months over the summer working in a restaurant in the small village of Flam, right in the middle of the Fjords, very close to some great nature, woodland perfect for mushrooms.
- What wild ingredients have you foraged/hunted/fished? On my few off days I’ve managed to venture out and found plenty of chanterelle and porcini which is such a luxury!
- Next stop the Finland Local Wild Food Challenge as a judge rather than a competitor this time. What wild ingredients are you expecting to see?
I am very much looking forward to the Finland trip. I have been told to expect some pike fishing and looking forward to tasting some local fish, fishing is something I am new too and would love to try it out.
- What are your top tips for those entering the challenge? I would say one thing, pay respect to the ingredients you go through so much effort to collect. Don’t mess about with it too much! Let the quality of the ingredients do the talking 🙂