Try our Wild Berry Torte recipe, full of different fruits and berries. Or, if you’re up north, you can even make this with cranberries for a zingy holiday dessert! Last year we had a bumper crop of juicy plums. Wild blackberries picked from the hedgerows on a bush walk. Stolen figs from a neighbour’s overhanging tree. Greengages, blueberries… anything you like!
¾ cup sugar
½ cup butter, room temp
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 free range eggs
1 ½ to 2 cup fresh berries or 6 large plums, halved & pitted
Sugar, lemon juice & cinnamon for topping
• Preheat oven to 350F/180C
• Cream sugar & butter, add flour, baking powder, salt & eggs, beat well.
• Spoon batter into 9 or 10 inch spring form tin.
• Scatter the berries over the mix or arrange plum halves skin side up on the batter.
• Squeeze over the lemon juice & a tsp sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit). Sprinkle over cinnamon to your liking.
• Bake for about one hour or until set & golden.
• Cool in the tin.
• Transfer to plate, dust with icing sugar & serve with whipped cream or vanilla bean ice-cream.
Can be served warm.